GATE exam pattern may witness major changes compared to its history when it was being launched in year 2014. IITs along with IISc have been making a consistent effort to streamline the Gate Examination recruitment process. Due to lesser availability of examination centres and to make the process less cumbersome, an effort was made to make the examination system completely online. Since the number of GATE aspirants had been increasing year after year, 4 different sessions of exam were conducted in year 2014 and 2015. Now this witnessed a calculation wherein candidates results were normalized considering rules from all the 4 different sessions with exam bring conducted at different to bring all the students to a single platform.
Certainly there were hiccups with this new adopted system. It was not justified to bring all students into one ranking system when they appeared for different examination.
To eradicate from all this, the following changes have been suggested for GATE 2016 examination.
1) Students will need to opt for different specializations from a single engineering branch.
2) There would be a separate exam for each specialization.
3) Normalization would not be required.
4) Examination would consist of questions from core subjects as well as elective ones.
5) Take 10 subjects in number which will include core as well as specialized subjects.
6) Results would be separate for each subject specialization.
This new system will have following benefits:-
1) Normalization would not be required.
2) Each specialization will have separate merit list.
3) Proper blend of core and elective.
4) Will focus more on research program
At the same time, the new system may have falling hiccups.
1) Specialization would have to be filled initially before applying for GATE.
2) PSUs and Indian Engineering services exams may not get support from new pattern.
3) Exam won’t be job oriented.